Friday, September 5, 2008

Car Sharing to Bike Sharing


As I-GO members, you're already familiar with the idea of car sharing. But what about bike sharing? Bike sharing is rapidly spreading in major cities and is also a concept that I-GO has been considering.

Barcelona, Paris, Stockholm, Vienna and Washington DC are the cities currently leading the pack in bike sharing. Paris has the largest bike sharing program of them all, with more than 20,000 bikes in service. Washington DC has the smallest operation, kicking off just last month with 10 stations and 120 bikes. An annual subscription to the SmartBike DC program costs only $40 and this fee includes rental of the bike; as long as the bike is returned within 24 hours of the start of the rental, there are no additional charges for use of the bikes.

Would you utilize a bike sharing service if it was offered in Chicago? Share your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. I would, if it wasn't for the fact that a back problem prevents me from riding a bicycle. I like the idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea and would definitely use it if it were offered at a reasonable cost (free would be best)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a great idea and knowing how much Richard Daley strives to bring elements of Paris to Chicago, it shouldn't be hard to get the city permits. I live in Evanston, but always like going into the City, but the problem is traffic and parking - I can never get to millenium park! Bike sharing would allow me to take the train into the city and bike the inner streets and neighborhoods while stopping at coffee shops along the way. I like the idea!

    ReplyDelete