Friday, October 10, 2008

CTA and I-GO to Partner on Combined Chicago Card Plus and I-GO Smartcard

I-GO Car Sharing and the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) announced today the launch of a joint smart card program that will allow individuals to use one card for both riding the CTA and accessing I-GO vehicles. There are currently 10 CTA locations with I-GO vehicles and plans to add 8 more. I-GO has 200 cars in 32 Chicago neighborhoods. The combined smart card program is expected to launch by the end of the year.

3 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic development. Way to be ahead of the curve CTA and I-GO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we currently have both a Chicago Card Plus and an I-GO card, will we be able to combine our existing accounts on this new card, or will we have to sign up for new accounts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ultimately, yes, that's the plan. But for now, this is a pilot program that still is being fine-tuned, and only 5,000 cards will initially be dispensed. Both the CTA and I-GO would like to get the ball rolling by attracting new members and broadening usage of both the CTA's online transit card system and car sharing -- two programs that have met with success, but could certainly use more of a push to encourage wider acceptance. We would like to reserve a small number of the initial batch of cards for existing I-GO members, and if you'd like to be considered for one of those when they're available, you can enter your name and email via a survey prompt on our home page at www.igocars.org. Eventually, though, we hope the program will meet with enough success to broaden it and make cards available to all current I-GO and CTA account holders.

    ReplyDelete